Sunday, December 06, 2009

Inking dilemma

(click  here  for a bigger version)

These above are two different renditions of the same subject (Kaspar, the heavily toenailed Ruthenian bear by John K). In the first version I reconstructed John K's drawing keeping the proportion by eye: I tried to pay the due attention to shapes, movement and lines of action.
In the second one I kept an eye on my precedent version, but I inked directly on John K's layout, as if it were a finished pencil drawing.
I prefer the less angular, more flowing lines of the second version, but this time my inking approach was more timid, and it seems to have lost something in movement and expression — and in construction here and there, like in Kaspar's right hand. On the other side, the rangers look better.
But the fur still seems to me too...
...fuzzy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Isaac said...

The one of the left is much, much better. The one on the right is terribly flat. Look at the crow's feet next to the eye - John K's version is alive and organic, the version on the right is completely flat.

The left one is very good. I'm very impressed.

Dec 8, 2009, 8:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page